Photo of the Day

1 2 3 4

10 April 2014

10 Statements Everyone Needs to Hear

Mark Twain famously said, “I can live for two months on a good compliment.” Great for you Mark Twain, but I don’t think many people can live off of 6 compliments per year!
A few years ago my wife and I read The 5 Love Languages by Gary Chapman. Not too long into our read, it was obvious mine was “Words of Affirmation” – positive statements from others which affirm the good qualities we carry. But we forget how powerful a few words can be in the lives of others.
Here is my theory. It’s not that we don’t desire to share positive affirmations with our friends, family, or colleagues – it’s that we either:
  1. Simply forget to do it
  2. We don’t know what to say
  3. It feels awkward
With that being said, I took the liberty of making this easier for all of us – to remind you, to make it convenient on knowing what to say, and to affirm you that awkward is over-rated :)
Here are 10 Statements Everyone Needs to Hear
Challenge: As you read this list, I want you to write down (or at least think of) one person for each of the 10 statements below. Then email them :)
1. You’ve made me a better person -  Who has helped you on your personal journey’s of emotion, behavior, and maturity?
2. I’ve looked up to you - Who is someone you admire? Someone with a character you and integrity you hope to find in yourself someday?
3. Thanks for being there for me - Who has been there for you through thick and thin? Sat with you as you’ve cried, listened to your struggles, and has never left your side.
4. I’m so proud of you - Who have you seen overcome a difficult situation? Or someone who has succeeded at something you appreciate?
5. I love spending time with you - Who do you have the most fun with? Someone who brings out the positive qualities in you, who makes you laugh, and leaves you feeling valued.
couple
Photo by Kylie Meiser
6. You’re the only person I can talk to - Who is your special person? The one who truly knows you. Let them know how exclusive and meaningful their friendship is to you.
7. Your so good at that - Everyone is good at something. Think of a friend whose talents go unappreciated and let them know you think it’s awesome.
8. I love you - We don’t say this enough. Remember, people die all the time. Don’t let someone you love go without knowing it.
9. You amaze me - I love this statement. There is nothing more honoring and humbling to amaze a fellow friend, family member, or colleague. 
10. That’s my favorite thing about you - Think of someone close to you. Someone who’s personality adds value to you or the people around them.
amaze
Photo by Dario Spada
What other statements should be added this list? Let me know in the comments below.
Share This Story. Someone you Know Needs to Hear This

No comments: